Music Test

:: Posted by - blogbyyongming :: Category -

Music Test


Yesterday, me, my elder cousin sister, YiLian and my sis, went to hav lunch together at Park Way which recently i found out it means 100 Ways. anyway, after lunch, i told my cousin to fetch me to my school for awhile to buy my remaining school exercise books. from there, me, my sis and my cousin drived us to a music centre called Play By Ear at ss18. actually it is called playbyear which i prounced it play b year.


anyway, my cousin wanted to attend the course cos she had a dream to be a musician and this centre will teach student from age 7 to 80 how to play music only by using ur ear, fingers, 'heart', and ur instrument. he, Alex, the founder of the play by ear said that he hav to run a test first to see where you stand. so, he said that since me and my sis are there too, he told us to take the test as well.


we r started by given a clip board with some forms on it as the front page. we just have to filled it completely first. once finishe he will ask us a few question. all i can remember is that he ask what instrument we played before.


my cousin answered organ, my sis answered piano and i jus told him that i got no experience in music industry except for recorder if u count it. im not sure how to spell recorder but it is the the pipe music instrument some of us might learn it during schooling years.


later than, he brought us to the audio room. he test us with a few things. first is singing to see whether do we get the tone right. we have to sing happy birthday according to the way he played it with his organ. me and my cousin scored 100 but my sis took 85.


the second test what to recognise the tone to see whether it suits the happy birthday song. me and my sis get 65 only while my cousin scored 85.


third was to see our flexibility of our finger by trying to use the fingers. i cnt see the way they pin point the marks but based on the records, i did the worst. my sis obviously scored full correct cos she take piano lesson and my cousin was just between us. the fourth was memory. he gave us a line of number and we have to remember it. i scored 80 all together, my cousin took 100 and my sis got 70.


the fifth is to merge our happy birthday song and clap into the beat while it is beating. it sounded easy but it is not. i got 75, my sis got 80 and my cousin got 85.


i remember there is one more test but i cnt remember. later they brought us to the meeting room. it feels kinda okward to be so young in a meeting room. this is my first time in my life to sit around a long table facing the projector screen like some advertisment manager with a clip board in ur hand. the show was aboslutely boring. they told us things we knew they are gonna say.


like we teach people not by notes, hav to use the feeling, we got lots of students and bla bla bla. the only few things that caught my eyes was tun mahathir's wife was in the course before and graduated once she reached level 2. then there is also that alex, was in the malaysia book of records in the most pianist in a wedding (his wedding) party.


they told us then that we hav a music camp and a few more info which i am too lazy to place it down in this post. anyway, it sounded fun but i dun think any of us will be joining the course. the reason is very simple, it is RM2286.70 for only 20 lessons of 45 minutes each. i find it not worth it but my sis and my cousin kept saying that it is.


obviously, none of our parents agreed with it.


4 more days to Christmas

Response to "Music Test"